Saturday, May 24, 2008

OUCH, ICK.......

So, I've finally gotten my first setback. I KNEW this great recovery was too good to be true! I had a hard time sleeping Thursday night - I was hurting. I attributed it to the cat stepping on me - on my incision - and I didn't mention it to Dr. Droesch when he called the next day. He told me that the panel at the cancer group agreed with him to not take out any additional lymph nodes, but to proceed with the chemo. I told him that I was doing GREAT. An hour later I took a late shower and discovered that my uncomfortable-ness was due to an infection at the incision site. It was oozing. ICK!

I tried calling the doctor's office back, but they aren't in on Fridays. I left a message. I called my family physician, hoping that he would just prescribe an antibiotic over the phone! Nope. I had to go in for an office visit. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Mom drove me in to Richland and we waited until they could work me in. After getting a culture, Dr. Isaacson prescribed Augmentin for me. Hope it heals soon......

Insurance statements have begun to arrive. Doctors, surgery.... It feels so great to see "Patient responsibility - $0.00" I am so fortunate to have insurance (through Kennewick School District) I applied for the most expensive out-of-pocket option because I know our family has lots of special needs (my Type I diabetes, the kids' ADD & ADHD, emergency room visits, etc.) I only bring home $150 each month after they subtract the insurance premium, but that's all I work for - the insurance.

I stopped by the school's benefits office on the Friday before my surgery. Paulene, who knows the program inside and out, had left early. I asked the other office lady what kind of coverage I had for my cancer. She asked me point blank if I had purchased Cancer Insurance. What?!! "No!" She tried looking me up in her computer and ended up telling me that I should check back on Monday (surgery was Monday morning.) Needless to say, I drove home in a state of shock, considering my options......

I called the insurance company myself. Should have done this to begin with. After checking me on their computers, they told me that the surgery, chemo, radiation - everything - would be covered at 100%. I cried in relief! What a sense of peace that was and IS!

2 comments:

Dweezleboss said...

setback? what's a setback? I'm going to assume that everything is going great. If you need any extra assumption--let me know.

Love you lots.

Mandi said...

Lisa:
Thank you so much for sharing you blog with the sisters in the ward. I know you must hear this often, but please don't get sick of hearing it - " You are Brave!" I'm so glad that you have full medical coverage. I had double coverage when Clifton was born so I know the feeling of relief upon opening the EOB from the insurance and reading "You owe $0.00." I am thinking of you and praying for you often.